The information presented here is a summary of the basic rules determining who is entitled to be attributed the Portuguese Nationality or who can acquire Portuguese Nationality, in accordance to Portuguese Nationality Law 37/81, of 3rd of October and the relevant revisions of that law and all additional legislation on the subject.
other law services find the link
Back to Top
Acquisition of the Portuguese Nationality
Who can acquire the Portuguese nationality?
- Children underage or incapable whose father or mother acquires the Portuguese nationality;
- In case of marriage or living as married, judicially recognized, with a Portuguese national;
- Underage by full adoption;
- By naturalization.
Foreign legal resident for 5 years
- Underage born in Portugal, in case that he/she has concluded here the 1.º cycle of basic education or one of the parents resides here legally for 5 years;
- In case of loss of the Portuguese nationality and if it is proved that another nationality was not acquired;
- Born in a foreign country with an ascendant of 2.º degree that hasn’t lost the Portuguese nationality;
- Born in Portugal living illegally in the country during the 10 previous years to the request.